Building 147 is a 91,948-square foot foundry building constructed in 1912 for Navy ship building and maintenance operations. It was decommissioned in the late 1990’s and re-purposed for storage. Due to years of smelting, the interior was contaminated with lead, arsenic and other heavy metals exceeding 80,000 micrograms per square foot (µg/ft2) in the dust. This project replaced old roof systems on the north and south sections, repaired windows and decontaminated the building interior to below 200 µg/ft2.
Med-Tox Northwest’s design incorporated the use of lead-based paint encapsulants for deteriorated steel components that could not meet the clearance criteria and the use of encapsulants on the ceilings to seal permeated components and prevent re-entrainment of heavy metal contamination.
Services provided by Med-Tox Northwest included:
• Abatement design with specsintact specifications and AutoCAD drawings as a subconsultant to WJA P.L.L.C.
• Private Qualified Person (PQP)/Industrial Hygienist oversight for all asbestos and heavy metals abatement activities and engineering controls for lead-based paint hazards as a first-tier subcontractor to Idaho Stage/RSCI as required by government specifications.